The Jeluvian Project


A top-down squad game delivering a unique mix of action and tactics, with plenty of emphasis on the narrative. This game is comprehensive and progressive; it takes time and isn't a coffee-break sort of thing.

> Download

Specs

  • Tactical Squad Action
  • About 3 - 4 hours to complete
  • Storyline through 14 levels
  • Freeware
  • Last modified Feb 2007
Reviews
Mentioned on PC Gamer UK

Developer Notes:
One of my most ambitious projects =)

This is primarily an Action game, but you need to implement some strategy and tactics. You will have to decide which path your squad will take, which enemies you will attack, when to cease fire and when to open fire.

It uses the familiar "RTS" controls, where you command your drones with the mouse. But at the same time, you get to make immediate decisions for them - you will have to aim, shoot, and reload. You take control of the action, not merely the strategics: More like being a Sergeant of a squad, rather than a General of an entire army.

Get involved with the characters in the story, encounter and control six different unit types, through a variety of 14 uniquely-designed operations. Features engaging electronic audio tracks from talented composers.

The development was a very fruitful experience. It was really the first time I attempted a rather ambitious project, and this took me quite some time and plenty of dedication. I learnt a lot about creating an AI (though a simple one), coming up with a level-script design, OGG's, implementing dll's and so many other wonderful things. It was hard work. But I enjoyed it, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did making it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this game! Thanks for your hard work!

I hope there are some more levels coming out sometime ;)

Anonymous said...

I came upon this game through a recommendation at the HOTU forum. I enjoy Jeluvian Project immensely and wish it had an online multiplayer feature.

My favorite thing about this game is how well the controls work. The waypoint system transforms the lack of pathfinding into a positive attribute. As a result of the waypoint system, I feel that I can do alot of neat micromanagement tricks that give satisfying results.

Thanks for making this game, and thank you for making it publicly accessible!

AsellusPrimus said...

I am amazed by this game. You made it with Game Maker, right? Unbelievable! I consider you an inspiration, and an example of what GM can really do.

Anonymous said...

Intriguing. Comments are very flattering so I look forward to trying out your game.

- Dora.